A bit more about Katarzyna Podkowik...
I joined Peter Edwards Law in December 2015 after stepping down as Director and Head of Mental Health Department at a leading London mental health firm to set up as a Consultant. I am a Solicitor-Advocate and a Member of the Law Society’s Mental Health Accreditation Scheme and my main role is to advise, assist and represent patients detained under the provisions of the Mental Health Act 1983 (as amended).
The specific area I specialise in is representing patients detained under the forensic sections of the Mental Health Act 1983.
I have particular expertise in:
- Advising, assisting and representing clients detained on civil and forensic sections of the Mental Health Act 1983 (as amended);
- Representing Polish nationals and forensic/high secure patients before the First-tier Tribunals,
- Advising and assisting mentally disordered inmates at Her Majesty Prisons;
- Conducting Judicial Review, Upper Tribunal and Court of Appeal cases – reported in Richard Jones’ Mental Health Act Manual;
- Leading a team of mental health representatives including supervision, guidance, monitoring and coaching.
I also advise and represent either the individual detained under the provisions of the Mental Health Act 1983 (as amended) or their nearest relative.
I am often appointed by the Tribunals Service to represent a patient before a Tribunal panel. As well as this I prepare and deliver training courses to mental health nurses, charities, doctors, professionals, patients and their carers.
Little known fact...
I have been involved in the following cases
R v Galfetti  EWCA Crim 1916,  All ER (D) 521 (Jul)
R (LH) v MHRT (2002) EWHC 1522 (Admin)
EC v Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Trust  UKUT 178 (AAC),  MHLO 70
EC v Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Trust  MHLO 47 (CA)
Away from the office...
I am a fluent Polish speaker who loves to take to the seas