- Course description:
DUE TO CORONA VIRUS – DELAYED UNTIL SAFE TO REARRANGE
The course is run by the former Chief Assessor of the Panel, Peter Edwards. For full CV . He will be assisted by the entertaining and informative psychiatrist Dr Bob Brown who also has considerable tribunal experience.
This very intensive two day course, approved by the Law Society, is designed to assist delegates prepare themselves for panel accreditation. The course also will flag up the difference between the English and Welsh systems.
The course would also be of great benefit to anyone involved in the tribunal process who feel that they need a greater depth of knowledge. In addition, day 2 in particular would be of value to those seeking reaccreditation. The other course that would be of value is the MHA Masterclass
This will provide guidance as to the appropriate books and websites to access and up to date case law. The course will be supported by a very full PowerPoint presentation which will be supplied in advance. For a period of 14 days after the course, Peter will respond to any emailed questions.
The two days will take delegates through the basics of the MHA and how this relates to the European Convention of Human Rights. It will cover those detained under civil sections, guardianship and community treatment orders. It will look at the roles of the AMHP, RC and nearest relative.
It will examine what is different when people are detained by the criminal courts including restricted patients and those transferred from prisons.
It is important to understand, psychiatric information, consent to treatment provisions, mandatory and discretionary discharges, automatic references and referrals, and practice guidance.
To practice the MHA it is vital to have some understanding of capacity issues and the interface with the Mental Capacity Act 2005.
Finally the course will examine the practice and challenges of legal aid, how to prepare effectively for a tribunal and the required advocacy skills.
Timings and Venue
Peter Edwards Law Training Suite, Ventura House, 8 Market Street, Hoylake CH47 2AE.
The venue is adjoining Hoylake railway station and there is extensive free local parking.
Day 1 9am – 5pm
Day 2 9am – 4pm
CPD both days 13 (day 2 alone 6)
£175 + VAT per day (£350 + VAT) both days
If anyone would like help finding accommodation in Hoylake (there is plenty) please email me email@example.com
Click here to print our application form (opens in new window)
- Venue: Peter Edwards Law Ventura House 8 Market Street Hoylake CH47 2AE
- Date of course: Monday, June 15th, 2020
- Begins: Both days 9am
- Ends: Day 1- 5pm. Day 2 - 4pm
- Cost of course: £175 + VAT per day (£350 + VAT both days)
- Price includes: Refreshments (including lunch) and detailed training materials
- Terms & conditions: Substitutes welcome. No transfers or cancellations within 14 days. Prior to this 20% administration charge. PELT right to cancel course. Accreditation. For solicitors both days (13- SRA). For psychiatrists both days (13 CPD points - Royal College of Psychiatrists) as part of a Personal Development Plan (subject to peer group approval). Barristers - No formal accreditation. Advise Bar Standards how the course met objectives.